Whoops, I bought a classic Triumph motorbike...

It's our second COVID lockdown here in the UK, there's no work to be had and it's winter. A boy needs a project.

I'd been toying for a while with the idea of doing up a classic British motorbike -- I've only played with 90s Japanese stuff in the past -- and started watching a few things on ebay. And yes perhaps putting in the odd cheeky bid after a few beers.

You guessed it. I 'accidentally' won an auction. I am the new keeper of a 1971 Triumph TR6R Tiger, freshly imported from the US of A. The Tiger is the single-carb version of the famous Bonneville, and is the same model as ridden by Steve McQueen in The Great Escape. Quite a heritage. And now this one, is mine: 

Bought sight unseen, for £4300. No history, not even registered in the UK. What had I done?

Promptly the next morning, a friendly chap from the dealers calls, we sort out the readies and he also offers delivery at a reasonable price. No going back now. In a few days it will be here...

While I wait, the ritual purchase of the Haynes manual (£13). Better still, a trawl around the internet reveals PDFs of the indispensible workshop manual and parts lists (shout me if you need them). That's more than I had for my last project, where the only existing manual was in Japanese.

I also sign up to the Triumph Owners' Motorcycle Club (£22), both for their general expertise and in case I need a dating certificate for the registration.

TOTALS TO DATE: Hours: 2. Cost: £4335.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All going swimmingly

Hundred-mile-stone reached (part 1)

The restorer's dilemma